Skip to main content

Letter 8 - Pups and Camels and Ardent Spiritualists.

A note from the Editors:

Oliver is getting stuck into the final stages of his training at Uphaven now, putting hours in on several Sopwith machines.


Franked 25 JUL 17
Mrs Chas. E. Pearson,
Hillcrest,
Lowdham,
Notts

Central Flying School, Uphaven, Wilts.

24.7.17

Dear Mother
I am very sorry my last letter should have had the note of sadness in it it was not meant to convey also that this one is so late for a Sunday Epistle. You I am sure read into my letters far more than is meant to be there. I don’t withdraw any of my statements this is a dismal hole & the mess is awful so awful that we “the Nine” as we call ourselves have permanently bagged the end of a table, from which at meal times there arises howls of laughter & loud jokes to the horror of the rest of the fellows.

A bicycle is impossible as I could hardly use it in the time I have left if I could get one even. Aprs la guerre Maman je explainera tout les photographses till then you must be content with the pencil notes on the back. I am enclosing two more lots (if I don’t forget.)

I have done well in the flying line. I only had to do 45 mins on Sopwith 2 seaters while most chaps had to do at least 2 hours. I went off then on Sopwith Pups : a dear little single seater scout, about the handiest bus made : I did 2 hours 45 mins on on those & then to my huge delight I have been picked to go on the Sopwith Camel I have now done nearly 2 hours on them & shall do some more tonight. The last is one of our best single seater scouts. It has a wonderful performance & will do 130 easily & more when wanted. It has a wonderful climb too & its only drawback is it’s a bit hard to fly as it spins at once if you make a mistake of any sort not that spinning matters except near the ground.

We have rather a nice program here. Flying for everyone starts at 8 oclock & goes on to 12 oclock during which time you do an hours machine guns. You have the afternoon off till five & flying goes on from then till dark.

During the afternoon one is supposed to exercise oneself & go either bathing or walking but there are tennis courts & fives courts & a golf course as well as cricket pitch & a Rugger ground so if one knew how long you were to be here you could get some kit up & have a fine time. We bathe in the river Avon which stream is about the size of the Dover beck only it has a larger volume of water & is perhaps a little wider. It is pretty muddy but has a fair bottom.

Last week end I spent in Salisbury with Mrs Hinkly. She looks a lot better but has gone from bad to worse being now an ardent spiritualist. Its awful isn’t it; letting a matter like that prey on ones mind so much.

Never suggest the Flying Corps for Donald. He would have an awful time & in the end I should very much doubt if he would ever make a pilot. A Private in the HAC is just his book believe me.

With best love to all & I will write to Dad from Oliver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter 21 - I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland.

A note from the Editors: We are missing a letter which is a pain, as things have moved on a pace since Olivers last letter! He has now been posted back to 70 Squadron and straight back in the saddle, with a description of his first eventful flight over enemy lines - 'Hunland'. It has been just 3 weeks since his crash. Franked 8 SP 17 O.A.S. Mrs Chas. E. Pearson, Hillcrest, Lowdham, Notts. Letter No. 15 II 70 Squadron RFC BEF France 6.9.17 Letter no 15 Dear Mother & Dad. I have just received two letters from you dated 2 Sept so that they have only taken 4 days to come. I am again with my Squadron. I played my last card and won. I slung my weight about till I must have made everyone fed up with me & so they got a hustle on. I came back yesterday morning & flew in the afternoon for about an hour & a half. This morning at 5.30 I was wakened up to say I was for patrol at six. I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland. It was very cloudy

Welcome to 'An Airmans Lost Letters' 1915-1917

These long forgotten letters penned by a young R.F.C. pilot, 2nd Lt. Oliver Charles Pearson to his Mother during the Great War, were discovered and liberated from a skip filled with the remnants of a roof clearance at a property in Southampton, UK during the mid 1990s. Within the past year they were rediscovered (again) having sat in a box in a loft for the last 10-15 years and were kindly passed to this sites authors, both of whom share an interest in social and military history from this period. Any links the letters had with the Pearson family have been long forgotten. We, the creators of this website, believe these documents are important social records of great interest to many, truly deserving preservation and a wider audience. When the letters came into our possession, via the nephew of the original finder, we deliberated over what we should do with them - perhaps donate them to a war museum? Oliver Pearsons old school? or return them to any living descendants, should we di

Lt Werner Voss claims his 44th victim

On the 10th of September 1917 two young pilots met over the Flanders battlefield. One was nineteen year old 2nd Lt Oliver Charles Pearson, the other was  twenty year old Leutnant Werner Voss , flying a prototype of one of the brand new Fokker Triplanes ... Oliver had left the 70 Sqn airfield near Poperinge at 4.45pm in Sopwith Camel B3787, on an offensive patrol to nearby Houlhulst Wood.  Lt Werner Voss was by then commander of 10 Jasta. One of Germanys top fighter aces, he was a natural pilot and aggressive fighter with 43 kills to his credit so far, second only to his friend and competitor Baron Manfred Von Richthofen.  Werner had been chosen to test fly Anthony Fokkers prototype only a few days before at the end of August. With aero engines in short supply his was fitted with a 110 hp  LeRhône engine  engine from a captured RFC Nieuport 17 fighter. Voss with Anthony Fokker Voss and his Triplane with his distinctive Japanese kite face painted on the Nacelle.