Skip to main content

Letter 10 - Badly need socks and pyjamas

A note from the Editors:

Oliver is now at the Officers Pool Mess, waiting to be posted to a Squadron.


Franked 5 AUG 17
O.A.S.
Mrs Chas. E. Pearson,
Hillcrest,
Lowdham,
Notts,
England.

No1AD Officers Pool Mess
France
Frid Aug 3

Dear Mother,
I am writing because at the moment I do not have anything better to do and I am in a comfortable office. I am Relieving Orderly Officer which means I have to sit here & wait for a telephone bell to ring while the real Orderly Officer has his lunch. I hope to get mine but am uncertain. I haven't been posted yet as the weather being so vile there is no flying & therefore no one is killed or injured. The above weather is phenominal.

It started with a most peculiar wind storm. From a flat calm & clear sky suddenly within 5 minutes arose a violent wind with racing black clouds & thunder & lightning of great violence which all lasted about half an hour & then passed off as it started leaving all serene & calm with no wind to speak of. But since then it has rained almost incessantly & for the last 72 hours without a break at all just a steady downpour all the time. It’s lucky we are in huts again & not under canvas as at the A.F.S.

I have now been twice into the town near here but am not struck with it. The main portion of the place isn’t bad & it has two fine squares & a beautiful old cathedral but get away from those & you get narrow streets filled with garbage & smelling like nothing else on earth. The program is to walk in (about 1 ½ miles) & arrange with Madame to have dinner. Then we walk around & buy things we want then have dinner and after talk with other officers & yarn around & walk back. The dinner is not so good one quite expected & you feel somewhat disappointed when the piece de resistance is only something made of egg of which you only took a very little thinking something else was to follow.

Everybody who is not making money out of the soldiers & who can have moved farther south away from the war so the place is really pretty empty & it look so dilapidated only the Cathedral looks really solid & I want t go round it as soon as I can. My Glibness at French is rapidly improving as I am remembering my vocabulary that I had forgotten & learning more. I do as much talking as I can to learn as much as possible before I come away. Here very few can talk more than a word or two of English but nearer the Line I believe more can speak it.

I badly want some more socks & pyjamas. Has dad got a spare flask that he can lend me. Such a one I mean that carries Brandy in. Everyone here carries one & say they wouldn’t be without it so I had better have one too & I cannot buy one here. One of my teeth has been giving me trouble & I am going to have it pulled free gratis & for nothing. Gambling is the chief game here & I am sick of hearing the Roulette wheel spinning round but you don’t catch me playing those silly games. One fellow is 52 francs to the good now but will possibly go down a 100 to-day. With much love from Oliver. Xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter 21 - I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland.

A note from the Editors: We are missing a letter which is a pain, as things have moved on a pace since Olivers last letter! He has now been posted back to 70 Squadron and straight back in the saddle, with a description of his first eventful flight over enemy lines - 'Hunland'. It has been just 3 weeks since his crash. Franked 8 SP 17 O.A.S. Mrs Chas. E. Pearson, Hillcrest, Lowdham, Notts. Letter No. 15 II 70 Squadron RFC BEF France 6.9.17 Letter no 15 Dear Mother & Dad. I have just received two letters from you dated 2 Sept so that they have only taken 4 days to come. I am again with my Squadron. I played my last card and won. I slung my weight about till I must have made everyone fed up with me & so they got a hustle on. I came back yesterday morning & flew in the afternoon for about an hour & a half. This morning at 5.30 I was wakened up to say I was for patrol at six. I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland. It was very cloudy

Welcome to 'An Airmans Lost Letters' 1915-1917

These long forgotten letters penned by a young R.F.C. pilot, 2nd Lt. Oliver Charles Pearson to his Mother during the Great War, were discovered and liberated from a skip filled with the remnants of a roof clearance at a property in Southampton, UK during the mid 1990s. Within the past year they were rediscovered (again) having sat in a box in a loft for the last 10-15 years and were kindly passed to this sites authors, both of whom share an interest in social and military history from this period. Any links the letters had with the Pearson family have been long forgotten. We, the creators of this website, believe these documents are important social records of great interest to many, truly deserving preservation and a wider audience. When the letters came into our possession, via the nephew of the original finder, we deliberated over what we should do with them - perhaps donate them to a war museum? Oliver Pearsons old school? or return them to any living descendants, should we di

Lt Werner Voss claims his 44th victim

On the 10th of September 1917 two young pilots met over the Flanders battlefield. One was nineteen year old 2nd Lt Oliver Charles Pearson, the other was  twenty year old Leutnant Werner Voss , flying a prototype of one of the brand new Fokker Triplanes ... Oliver had left the 70 Sqn airfield near Poperinge at 4.45pm in Sopwith Camel B3787, on an offensive patrol to nearby Houlhulst Wood.  Lt Werner Voss was by then commander of 10 Jasta. One of Germanys top fighter aces, he was a natural pilot and aggressive fighter with 43 kills to his credit so far, second only to his friend and competitor Baron Manfred Von Richthofen.  Werner had been chosen to test fly Anthony Fokkers prototype only a few days before at the end of August. With aero engines in short supply his was fitted with a 110 hp  LeRhône engine  engine from a captured RFC Nieuport 17 fighter. Voss with Anthony Fokker Voss and his Triplane with his distinctive Japanese kite face painted on the Nacelle.